Thursday

Revisiting ICARUS COMPLEX (part 1)

A few of my close associates have been telling me lately how I don't blog enough. I mean, I have all these spectacular blog topics throughout the day pretty much everyday, but by the time I'm in front of my computer with a free second, my brain is usually on to the next hustle. That usually leads to late nights and blog dreams lol.

Anyway, since I'm about to release acts 2 and 3 from the Icarus Series (acts 2 and 3 make up LIFT: The Rise and Fall of Diablo Archer, but that's for a later blog), I think it's time I revisit Icarus Complex. This isn't the "what I was feeling when I recorded this joint" rundown or whatever. I tried that one before, and it didn't work out too well lol. THIS is how I'm feeling RIGHT NOW listening to the song for the first time in a couple months.

Here goes...

D-Lamma did his thing on the beat. WHY this dude is not making beats right now is such a mystery to me! Dasan's voice is PERFECT for this track. That "I remember Icarus" line still gets me every time. It's crazy how he had no IDEA about the whole "Icarus" theme in this project.

"I just wanna make the beautiful see...that beauty's more than skin deep, and we can all fly..." *REWIND*

This conversation, with the chic, didn't really happen, but very easily COULD have. I don't usually do that (make up stories about conversations), but the dream it happened in was so vivid that I felt it was appropriate. Again, Dasan's intro and hook confirmed my vision for the joint.

I'm thinking about all of those "IAMNOTAFRAID" pics I received. I wish I could have used all of them. I'm still amazed that I can reach out to people all over the world, LITERALLY, and find support.

"The blessing is we don't live our life from the ground..."

"I'm out the hood, but still about the struggle..."

"Take the boy off the Hill, Hilltop still in him..."

"They ain't happy unless my hands is filthy, and I ain't happy unless my drums is gritty and a mic's with me..."

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!

The third verse is kinda personal. I felt more comfortable recording it than I do listening to it now. It's me though, and that's what I give ya'll when I'm making music.

"My soul leaks...heriditary heart bleed. I ain't tryna be funny 'cause seeing that crushed me..."

"Whatever situation I'ma rise above 'cause I remember only God can judge..."

Note to self: I have GOT to do more work with Dasan Ahanu.

_______________________________
If you were able to follow this entry enough to dig it, tune in for the next one. Up next is Winning Season, and I'm DYING to press play on it right now, but that wouldn't keep with the spirit of the blog series lmao

PEace

No comments: